Friday, August 13, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup



I know it's pretty hot out to be thinking about soup but I tried this and needed to share. I will share it again when it gets colder out if I can remember to.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine recently and decided I would try it myself. I was a little skeptical to start with because I'm not a huge hamburger person. I thought well if I didn't like it, my husband would still probably eat it. He likes hearty foods, meat and potatoes kind of guy. I was very surprised though. It was delicious! It was more of a cheesy potato soup. You couldn't even taste the hamburger that much. I think I will double the recipe next time. So, here is the recipe...

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 chopped onion
3 stalks chopped celery
3 Cups chicken broth
3 cups diced, peeled potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
8 oz Velveeta or your favorite cheese
Salt, pepper, and red pepper to taste.


Brown 1/2 lb ground beef (I added some Tastefully Simple Everyday Grillin Seasoning to the beef)
with 1/2 chopped onion and 3 stalks chopped celery. (I omitted the celery)
Drain and set aside. (I didn't have to drain because I used 90/10 meat and there was very little grease)



Boil 3 cups chicken broth (I use the bouillon cubes)
and add 3 cups diced, peeled potatoes
and 2 cups chopped carrots (I omitted the carrots also).
Boil until tender.


Place beef back on heat and melt 1/2 stick butter into the beef. Mix 1/4 cup flour into beef and then add to potatoes and carrots.

Add 1 1/2 cups milk and 8 oz Velveeta. I used an 8oz block of cheddar cheese and shredded it.
Stir until cheese melts. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper to taste.
I used Tastefully Simple's Sweet Bell Pepper Dip Mix in place of the red pepper. I would probably add a dash or two of Fiesta Party Dip Mix next time just to spice it up a tad.





3 comments:

  1. I bet that really does taste so comforting on a chilly day. I'm crossing my fingers for another month of summer up here though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cheeseburger soup! My recipe is very similar to yours except that I use cornstarch instead of flour to make it gluten free. It really is as good as you described. I think I am going to have to make some very soon, thanks for reminding me of how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds YUMMY - Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete