Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Homemade Gatorade

I first want to give credit where credit is due. I found this recipe over at Homemade Mamas.

This came directly from their website:

What You Need:
  • 32 oz water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 packet unsweetened Koolaid
  • *optional: 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or 1/2 cup fruit juice (if adding fruit juice, reduce sugar to 3 Tbsp.)
Mix all your ingredients together, chill, and enjoy! And as you can see from the info below, the nutritional content of the homemade sports drink vs. Gatorade is pretty comparable, although if you are going to Participate in extreme, prolonged exercise (like marathons), the homemade version is not recommended.

Comparison of Nutritional Content:
16 oz Gatorade: 28 gm carbohydrate, 220 mg sodium*, 60 mg potassium, 104 cals

16 oz homemade: 26 gm carbohydrate, 288 mg sodium*, 40 mg potassium**, 100 cals

**adding the 1/2 cup of fruit juice would add about 150-250 mg potassium**


**********************************************************************************************
My version

I have made it numerous times and my son loves it!

I used the same ingredients, but doubled the recipe. It's just easier for me to do it this way instead of trying to use a half of a package of Kool-Aid.



- 8 Cups of Water
- 1 package of Kool-Aid (my Son's fave is Lemon-Lime, he loves Sprite too)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Gallon pitcher
I've never added the additional optional items.


Mix ingredients then pour into an empty Gatorade bottle or any other drink container you have available. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Linking up over here:







4 comments:

  1. This really is good stuff.. plus its nice to indulge your kids once in a while without spending $1.50 for a bottle of what is essentially water. For us I found that the amount of salt was a little too much.. but it didn't take much to play with the amount of water & salt. Also for us the punch flavor tasted the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drink it, so I wouldn't know if it was too much salt or not. My son seems to enjoy it, but thanks for the input. I might try a little less next time.

    ReplyDelete